Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

The symptoms of multiple sclerosis showed up about 5 years ago. We had
JUST! put a down payment on 5 acres of land, so that I could FINALLY fulfill
my life-long dream of being a farmer. Five acres was a little SMALLER that I
had hoped for, but then I figured on raising high-dollar crops like
blackberries and honey.

Now, you would figure that gaining a lifelong dream would have had me down
on the land in an instant, but I was so very TIRED all of a sudden! All that
I really wanted to do was to rest. I put it off for a little bit.

Well, after a few days of this I gathered together my energy and I got
together some metal stakes and I went down to make a more permanent mark on
the corner: that stick of wood with the pink flag was positively NOT! good
enough to mark the corner of my farm.

I was youngish and I was strong-or so I had thought- but I simply could not get the metal stake into the ground. I barely managed to walk to the corner, and the effort made my vision go out of focus. At one point I reached for what I thought was a stick in my pathway: it turned out to be a large and harmless snake!

 I did not know it at the time, but I was having my first flare-up of MS. It
took me a year to get diagnosed, and that fourth corner never DID get
staked.

That was then and this is now. Treatment and herbal remedies have slowed the
progression of the disease, but I now barely have the strength to be a
housewife. STILL I am determined to farm! A few more machines, some
high-quality weed barriers, permaculture, crystals to decrease the need for
watering....... I do believe that I can raise food again! LOTS and LOTS of
food!

I might never again have the strength to stand in the hot sun and sell at
the farmers market, but I do believe that I can RAISE it!

Journey with me, if it pleases you, while I re-learn how to raise edibles
even though I am handicapped! I have had many successes already and I will
happily share what has and has not worked for me, as well as my on-going
projects.

My goal is to share with people how quantities of food can be raised in
peoples back yards or on their land, and with not much labor. TRUST me on
this: if I can raise food when I walk with a cane and tire very quickly,
then so can most of America! It is just a matter of knowing how.......

My goal is to write 2-3 times a week, year round. There is so MUCH that I
have to share, from natural cures to gardening to my attempts to raise crops
on my 5 acres to easy ways to prepare the produce for the table.......

Pull up a chair, sit down, and visit with me!

Kansas Terri

1 comment:

  1. I am so pleased to find you. Your blog was mentioned on permies dot com, that's how I found it. I'm with you on your journey from now on, while having one of my own.

    ReplyDelete