Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thoughts about survival gardening.

A milestone has been passed in my garden: the vegetables with real calories are starting to bear.

It is true that we have been enjoying leafy vegetables, broccoli, and zuchhini for some weeks now, and we even got some peas. But, the vegetables with serious calories in them- the corn, beans, tomatos, melons, and root vegetables- have simply been too young to bear until now.

From this time on the garden might give us more calories than is spent on keeping it up. If we ever needed the garden to give us serious calories, it would be unreasonable to expect it to do so before early July when the beans start to bear.

Turnips and Fava beans are earlier, but I had no wish to plant them this year. I suppose I could do it if I had to!

In Medieval England, the spring was calle the "Hungry gap" because the stored food was running out or starting to spoil, and the more nourishing vegetables were too young to provide calories. This makes me very gratefull for supermarkets!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently dehydrating grated zucchini for this winter. After soaking it, I can add it to cake. The zucchini will pretty much vanish, just leaving the cake extra moist and tender. It seems like cheating to serve a vegetable without people realizing that tey are eating it, but, the vegetable IS eaten, and that is no bad thing!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment