Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MinWax Polyshades works if you ignore the instructions!

The can  CLAIMS that it this polyurethane designed to be used right over the old finish, but this was a bust.

Every defect in the old finish resulted in the MinWax beading up to avoid the defect, and because the MinWax Polyshade was colored, this was BEYOND noticeable! It looked great going on, but after 10 minutes or so it gave the table a polka-dotted, rippled effect!

So, I stripped off the Minwax and the old finish, which took perhaps a half-dozen times with the stripper. I went from treating the entire table to treating spots of residual varnish, but it did take a good half-dozen treatments. I then stained it, and then I put on the thinnest layer of MinWax Polyshades that I could, and this time it worked.

The second coat is due around noon. The color settles out as the can sits, and this time I will use the clear upper part and not make the second coat something that is barely there. I want enough polyurethane on this table to last a few years!!!!!!! So the next coat will be a LITTLE heavier, and if I use the clear part any beading up will not be so noticeable. Though, since I was VERY carefull on applying the first coat there should be no defects in the base coat to cause beading.... I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment