Friday, June 22, 2012

Update on the no-work potatos!

I picked some potatos yesterday. I simply picked them off of the ground like they were pebbles.

These no-work potatos were the first ones that I had put in, and instead of burying the potatos I just covered them with newspaper. Well, we had a spell of bad weather this week and the paper shifted due to the wind, exposing the spuds. So, I picked the exposed potatos up.

Most of the potatos had a little green on them, but the spuds were tasty enough once I had removed all of the green area. Apparently the newspaper was not heavy enough to keep ALL of the light out! (For beginning potato growers, I will mention that if light hits a growing potato it will turn that spot green, and green spots on potatos are bitter).

I will DEFINATELY save some newspaper for next spring! Now that this method shows such promise, I believe that next year I will make an entire row of delicious potatos with newspaper over them! Though, I will make the layer of newspaper heavier. And, perhaps I will also lay in a supply of rocks to weigh the newspapers down as the wind in Kansas can be fierce!


Tonight I ate potato salad made with home grown potatos, eggs from my chickens, mayo, celery,  relish, and a little salt. It was delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! My sister-in-law grows her potatoes on cardboard and covers them with straw. Who knew they were so easy to grow?

    Your salad sounds delicious. It sounds about 95% home grown. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete