Thursday, May 5, 2011

FROST!

La Nina strikes again, and I have had just a TOUCH of frost!

The vegetables have mostly been nipped, and it is too early to tell what will survive. The zucchini has some healthy-looking buds at the base, but the bell peppers are in SAD shape! The  buckwheat  on the hillside is dead, and the tops of SOME of the asparagus were lost.

They keep talking about how La Nina is winding down, but it is still cool here in Kansas, and usually it is hot in May. So, while LaNina may be winding doen it is still HERE! And, this year, winding down or not, we have FROST!

Also, the wind keeps shifting my weed barrier. I have tried weighing it down with firewood, burying the edges, and driving pins through it and into the ground. STILL it moves some when the wind blows hard! OTHER people do it in the Midwest, or so they SAY, but for me not much works!

I keep putting it back after every stiff wind: with firewood weighing it down it only shifts a foot or so but it does need frequent attention.

Oh, well. When summer comes the wind will stop blowing. The peas and beans I planted around the edges are doinng very well. This LaNina weather is GREAT for peas and beans, even if it does frost a tad!

I am going to miss those peppers, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment