Sunday, May 1, 2011

Part of every homestead, of course, is the EATING! And, the first spring greens are AWESOME! Alas, I will have to wait a bit longer: the greens that I started inside have been nibbled down to stubs.

I have NO idea what is eating them! But, once there is more variety available outside, perhaps my greens will be nibbled less. On the GOOD side, the asparagus is starting to produce.

I like my asparagus cooked very simply. I slice the spears, and I split the fattest pieces in half so that the asparagus cooks more evenly. I simmer them until they are tender-crisp, and then I drain them VERY well! If the asparagus is still dripping then the dressing will slide off.

I then dress them with either mayo or butter and salt, and I enjoy!

After an entire winter of cold-storage vegetables from the grocery store, there is NOTHING! like food that is truly fresh! And, the greens will recover if only the varmints will stop eating them......

No comments:

Post a Comment