Thursday, June 2, 2011

I harvested broccoli today!

Memorial day was 3 days ago, and it took 2 smal heads to serve the 4 of us along with the BBQ  ribs and the potato salad and the trimmings. THAT WAS JUST 3 DAYS AGO!
It has been 90 degrees and humid for those 3 days, and I just had to cut the other 5 heads (now medium sized) because they had gone from tightly packed buds to trying to flower. Huh. Gardens go SO fast! The 2 plants that I harvested for memorial day already have good developing sprouts: I will likely have another picking of shoots in about 5 days.
I am trying to decide between freezing these heads, making a broccoli stead stir-fry, or cooking it to serve as a vegetables. Decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!
Sudden weather changes is why the midwest is not a big fruit and vegetable producer like the west coast is: our soil is just as rich but the climate makes the produce less PREDICTABLE! Not to mention sometimes killing the fruit trees: elm and oak do better than peach or apricot but people can have good results in their back yard! A little extra fussing and an acceptance of the odd non-producing year is fine for people with 5 trees, but more difficult for somebody will 1000 trees.
This year I expect very little fruit because of a late cold snap. I accept it in the trees and I reseed any frosted spots in the garden with corn. This year i will have a lot of corn!!!!!!!! 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment