Monday, March 5, 2012

The Greenhouse update: Just because it is warm during the day does not mean that one layer of plastic is enough!

With the temps outside in the 50s and 60s during the day, I have not been putting the cover over the beds. MISTAKE! The seeds have been planted for a couple of weeks, and not a single seed is up!

The ground acts as a heat sink, but it is still getting too cool in the greenhouse over night. Most seeds need the temperature to be in the 60's to germinate. So, I covered the beds with my lightest plastic layer, to trap the heat onto the bed.

It is possible that I am wrong, and the problem is that the high heat during the day-it must be 80 in there- is sucking the moisture out. If that is so then the moisture should condense on the plastic over the bed and drip on down again.

I hope to have seedlings up in 3 days!

On the GOOD side, the tulips and the windflowers are up. And, the few surviving turnips are putting out some lovely greens, which will be a good addition to the next salad that I make!

2 comments: