Saturday, March 24, 2012

Happy but tired!!!!!!!!!!!

Today my order FINALLY arrived! I was afraid that it would not arrive until it had gotten hot out!!!!!!!

As soon as I could, I drafted my youngest and we planted the dwarf Liberty apple, the V for Victory rose, and the Saskatoon berry bush. Since the holes were already dug by my daughter I could have done it myself, resting between each plant, but I decided that I did not want to. Besides, my son had expressed an interest in earning money, and I pay $5 an hour.

I showed him how to look for the color change along the stem to know how deeply to plant it, how to gently press the soil around the roots while the holes were being filled, and how to keep the roots out of the sun for as long as possible.

Then I had him water them in and clear up the mess.

I only have one tree left to arrive, and I ordered that e-mail. Since I did not get a thank-you-for-your-order email I am nervous that the order might not have gone through: I will have to closely examine my credit card statement when it arrives.

In the greenhouse the beets and the carrots are up, and so is a very tasty lettuce that I only have one plant of. I wish I knew what variety it is! I might let it go to seed to so that I can have more of it!

The turnips are dead from the aphids: the only good thing about that is that most of the aphids died with them. There was too much room between the turnips and the other plants, and not that many of them make the trip!

My greenhouse flowers are blooming, but it does not look as pretty as I thought that they would! My flower design ability has never been that great. The bed with the windflowers and the pansy's are blooming well enough, but it mostly looks untidy. Colorfull, yes, but untidy! Still, it pleases me that they are healthy and blooming!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't permaculture supposed to look a little untidy :-) I'm so envious of you planting trees! I know the day will come for our property too, but there are so many things to do it's almost hard to know where to start! Slow and steady.

    I think letting the lettuce go to seed sounds like a good idea. Since you like the lettuce so much it would be a shame not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps Good to see you bounced back from the other day.

      pps My blog has a new URL. It's ... http://thelittleacrethatcould.blogspot.ca/

      Hope to see you there.

      Delete
  2. Tidy is for magazines where someone is tending the flowers during a shoot. Real flower or vegetable gardens are what they are. Enjoy the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!

      I know that my neighbors think that I am untidy. I have not gotten to the weed trees in the fence because I have been waiting for the new part for my battery chainsay. The wind has messed up the weed barrier in the garden. And I haven't gotten to them because I mowed, which used up my energy, and then picked flowers, which used up my energy, and planted a couple of 4 packs of vegetables, which used up my energy.........

      Tidiness comes in second!

      Delete